Latest Posts

Saying Yes

By 8:52 AM ,

As a younger, faster paced generation, we're all prone to a disease called "the fear of missing out". This is a real problem that plagues us all as friends, coworkers, and employers are asking us left and right to go out, or stay an extra hour. So is it ever ok to just say no?


Well, yes and no. I know, not the answer you wanted to hear. As with most things, there's no black and white to the question. When it comes to a social life, there are certainly times when it's ok to turn down an invitation and just stay in for the night after an especially exhausting week. Contrary to popular belief, we can take some time to relax.

I will also say that with a more open mind I have made a lot more friends, even if I do only see some of them at work or school. I started to say yes to social situations that might be new, and every time I have it's turned out to be way more fun than I expected.

Now, what about in education and career? This is where I do not think we, in our early to mid 20's, have the luxury to turn any opportunity down. And really, we shouldn't want to! Sometimes a job or an extra task might seem useless, but I can almost guarantee something else will stem from the activity in the future.

There is no harm in trying out something new, even if you feel you may not be a total expert on the job at hand. It's a way to learn the playing field too and see what you might be good at. And guess what? If it so happens that you are unhappy in the position, there's always the option to say no the next time.

I've taken on a lot of different responsibilities since I've moved to California, (which I would NEVER have done a year ago), and another has always followed right after. You literally never know who you're going to meet at any given post or event. People know people know people, and most of the time successful folk are more than willing to help students. Right now, we need all the guidance we can get.

A mentor told me recently that when there's a natural flow of opportunities that keep presenting themselves, you know you're doing the right thing in the right field. So I encourage you...just say yes, you might find something great on the other side.





You Might Also Like

0 comments