Latest Posts

How to Survive a Day of Flying

By 8:15 AM ,


It's been a fantastic few months in sunny socal, but I'm finally home on the east coast for the next couple of weeks. I'm currently writing to you from my couch surrounded by warmth, cozy scents, and twinkling christmas decorations after my morning cup of joe. It almost feels like I never left.

Yesterday was my first solo flying experience, and let me tell you, it started out great and went downhill as the hours ticked on. I successfully traversed the bag check and security at LAX, and made it on my first flight to DC with ease. I knew it had to be too good to be true when my connecting flight just kept getting pushed back farther into the day. Needless to say, a long twelve hours in airports and planes eventually led me home to Vermont. 

I'd be lying if I said I had my phd in traveling, but packing is another story.



Here's a quick doodle of my carry on...

The Essentials 
Lip balm and gum are obvious necessities, but I like to bring a snack with me instead of paying for overpriced airplane junk. Quest Bars are my personal favorite, but any type of granola bar will work! 

Dress
Looking cute while still maintaining some level of comfort is obviously the biggest challenge of flying. I wore my nikes, joggers, a tee, and a cute bomber jacket. I also brought a scarf as I'm flying into the snow, and you never know if you'll be hot or cold throughout the day. Those little air conditioners over head are ruthless. 

Electronics
I keep it simple in this department, theres a tendency to bring all of these gadgets we don't need on the plane with us. Just my phone charger and my headphones is all I need. In the end I was stuck with my laptop too because...well....my suitcase may or may not have been over fifty pounds. Oops.

Extras
Personally, I always bring my sketchbook and micron markers when I travel anywhere. Inspiration hits me at the oddest of times, and I like to keep a visual journal of my life. It's also nice to disconnect when you get the chance and read a good book or magazine.

A Few Quick Tips

Do: Wear comfortable shoes. Come on, heels at the airport?

Dont: Overpack your carry on. No one wants to be that person shoving the huge suitcase in the over head compartment.

Do: Eat. Impatience and frustration is hard enough without extreme hunger.

Dont: Expect your flights to be on time. More often than not there are delays, just roll with it the best you can.

Do: Be courteous and nice to other passengers, and especially the flight crew. Flyings tough, but everyone's in the same boat. The crew doesn't want to be there anymore than you do, so be as kind as possible.

Hope all who are traveling this week make it home safely, Happy Holidays!


You Might Also Like

0 comments